Backwaters are one of the most preferred destinations for newly married couples who plan out their nuptial trip in India. Backwaters add the much needed beauty and romance in the air for such visitors. Alleppey is also known as “Venice of the East”. It is the homeland to a unique backwater lifestyle. The city is richly connected with many natural and man-made channels, as also large lakes. It is no wonder then that the major tourist attraction of this city is the backwaters. Houseboat stays are the must try attraction of Alleppey!
Experience Houseboat Living
Houseboats are major attractions at Alleppey. These houseboats are nothing but a luxurious house built over boat or also can be called as floating houses. They boast all the necessities and luxuries one can demand for while traveling to Alleppey. Every houseboat has a captain, a cook and a helper who will be travelling with the tourists. But this small crew remains largely invisible, without spoiling your privacy or experience. These accommodation facilities vary in size from 1-bedroom boats to huge 2-storeyed boats which can easily accommodate around 100 people. There are also luxurious huge multi-storeyed boats which are nothing short of floating hotels.
- Typical Cruise Timings: 10 AM – 5 PM
- Standard Cruise Route: Alleppey to Kumarakom and back
- Houseboat Stay options: Tourists can book houseboats for a 2 hours, 1 day, 1 day and night or extended cruises. Depending on the duration of the stay, the houseboat takes tourists around Alleppey.
How to Book for a Houseboat Cruise:
Just like any typical hotel, bookings can be done through the tour operators or online hotel booking sites. A tourist can select the duration of the cruise, number of rooms, option to have an exclusive boat or shared boat, route of the cruise etc. at the time of booking itself.
- Average Costs: A good houseboat for a 1D/1N package may cost around Rs. 8,000 – 10,000 for an adult.
- More info: The cost of a houseboat is inversely proportional to its age. A good boat can be at its prime for a period of 4-5 years and after that, it may creak and age gradually.
- Tip: There are many add-ons and custom features available in houseboats like AC, upper deck, custom menus etc. One can discuss all these factors with your boat operator before booking.
How to Reach Alleppey via Train?
Alleppey is well connected via major stations across India. If you are traveling via train, don’t forget to book your meals in train from IRCTC e-catering partners.
• Travelling from Mumbai: Netravati Express is the best choice to reach Alleppey. Book your lunch before you reach Udupi Junction. Order food in train at Udupi junction with Railrestro. Before you get off from train, you can also book your food in train at Ernakulam Jn.
• Travelling from New Delhi: With 6 train options to choose from, Alleppey is well connected to National capital city too. One can start their journey from Hazrat Nizamuddin. Don’t forget to pre-book your food in train while traveling.
Other Tourist Attractions at Alleppey
A cruise on an Alleppey houseboat is not about the destination, it is about the overall experience. But as you cruise along the calm backwaters, there are many tourist destinations that one will come across. Some of these attractions include:
- Vembanad Lake: Spanning across miles of Kerala’s waterways, this is the world’s second largest freshwater lake. The shores of this lake are dotted with coconut trees, Kerala villages and some tourist attractions too. Also while you cruise along the lake, do not miss the tourist attractions such as bird sanctuary.
- Pathiramanal Island: Situated on the shores of the backwaters, this island will blow your mind away with its scenic beauty. Pathiramanal in local language means “sands of night” and there are some great beaches here. The island is also home to many rare varieties of migratory birds.
- Kumarakom: This would be your last stop, before the houseboat takes you back to Alleppey. Kumarakom constitutes of a cluster of small islands and scenic beaches. The land is full of paddy fields, coconut groves and mango groves. Apart from this, Kumarakom also has a list of remote tourist attractions, all or some of which you may explore depending upon the stay.
When to Visit Alleppey
- Best Time to Visit: December – February & August (during Nehru Boat Race)
- Shopping: Handicrafts items made of wood and coir.
- Nearest railway station: Alleppey.
If you are planning a trip to Alleppey via Indian Railways, don’t forget to order food in train from trusted e-catering partners of IRCTC. You can now order via Railrestro App or on call at 8102888111.