The month of November is the onset of winter season in which the temperature starts dropping and the chilly cold air hits our environment. During the winter season, India is considered as the “Heaven on Earth. Indians welcome this season as it a relief from the scorching and sultry summer season. Everybody is cheerful as this is the commencement of holiday season and the accurate time to tour throughout the country.
This year end season is the celebration time when Gujarat tourism is on the peak as the festival of Rann Utsav welcome tourists from the entire nation and beyond the boundaries. The pristine white sand, unlimited blue sky, the cultural dance, handicrafts, camel ride, the rich tradition of song, dance, drama, kite festival, luxury tent accommodation with numerous crafts, are the attractions for tourists and at the same time reflects enthusiasm, energy and devotion of the locals to make the festival a grand success.
Rann: The USP of Kutch!
The literal meaning of Rann is “Desert” which is the USP of Kutch. The white landmass stretches up to 7500kms sharing a part of its space with Pakistan. Post monsoon, the land is left with white salt which turns into a salt desert for rest of the year. You can only visualize the white salt desert beneath your feet and the unlimited blue sky overhead thus relaxing you with a feeling of peace and tranquility. The beauty magnifies when the scene accompanies light of the blue moon. The place fascinated the tourists and as a result, it became famous among the locals first and then among the tourists who congregate in large number, every year, to experience this unmatchable beauty.
Formation of Tent City:
Every year in the icy-cold months of winter a tent city is created near Dhordo village where the Rann Utsav festival is celebrated. The tent city has normal tent houses and luxury tent houses for the guests who arrive to visualize this grand fest of Gujarati culture and heritage. The never-ending white sand, the blue sky and full moon emitting silver moonlight all over the sand is itself a visual retreat.
Thanks to the Vision of Mr. Narendra Modi!
Dhordo is a small village in the state of Gujarat. It is located 1 KM towards North from District headquarters Bhuj. The villagers had no source of employment and they were struggling to earn their living as the land wasn’t fertile enough for vegetation during monsoon and remaining months of the year. The white salt desert was the only natural property leaving no scope for any agriculture or animal husbandry. Honourable Prime Minister Mr. Narendra Modi, who was once the Chief Minister of Gujarat, had a vision to effectively utilize the property and convert it into the most viable tourist destination. Mr. Modi with his vision approached Gujarat Tourism Promotion Body and converted this dullest and deserted place, Dhordo, and transformed the same into one of the most captivating tourist destinations of Gujarat. Through this bold step, the largest salt desert of the nation got its authentic recognition and hence utilized to the optimum level. Today, Gujarat is the 6th largest state of India. The renowned Bollywood actor Mr. Amitabh Bacchan is the current face of Gujarat tourism promoting the campaign “Khushboo Gujarat Ki”, which led to a growth of 14% in Gujarat tourism.
RANN UTSAV IS BACK- 1st Nov’19 to 20th Feb’2019
This unique Gujarati style celebration under the white salt desert is something which will drive you crazy. Rann Utsav Festival is a carnival of music, dance, drama, scenic beauty, fest, scrumptious food, and stay at the tent city. Every tourist can enjoy these awesome programs and feel this exquisite and stunning creation of nature. The Great Rann of Kutch is the world’s largest salt desert that measures about 16,000 sq. kms. The major attractions of Kutch Rann Utsav are:
- Cultural Sufi & Folk songs: Every local province has a folk music. Gujarati folk songs and the Sufi songs sung by the groups and communities voices the language of love and passion towards cultural beauty of Gujarat. These special programs are arranged for the tourists during the night. The folk singers sing the evergreen melody in their local dialect.
- Handicrafts: The Rann Utsav, during these 3-4 months of celebration, becomes a land of handicrafts sold by the local vendors. They depict the traditional culture of Gujarat. Items like garments, Handwall painting, jewelry items, wood carving, wall paintings, folk textiles, exquisite embroidery, Bandhani sarees, traditional ornaments and mirror work are some of the specialties of Kutch.
- Kite Festival: It’s the day when the sky is painted with red, blue green and other secondary color kites, with mini, medium and giant sizes. The kite festival is a mesmerizing scene as the sky is full of colourful kites waving to and fro, displaying the true colors and cheerful nature of the Gujratis.
- Suf: Suf embroidery is a special art worked in floss silk thread on a magenta red cotton ground, found only in Gujarat Rann Utsav. This form of embroidery was traditionally used to decorate a bride’s collection of clothing and part of her family’s gifts. The design pattern is basically triangle and diamond shaped.
- Khaarek: It is a form of satin stitch thread work practiced in Gujarat. This unique embroidery work is carried out by Sodha, Rajput and Meghwal communities. There are many geometrical shapes finely stitched with a high level of precision.
- Camel Ride: Camel is called the “Ship of the Desert” and one can’t afford to miss a bumpy camel ride throughout the white desert.
- Hot air Balloon Ride: Try the hot air Balloon ride. Even acrophobic would love to try.
- Scrumptious Food: Gujarati cuisines are mouth-watering and delicious. The famous dishes like dhokala, khakhara, khandwi, and fafda are the most demanding and tasty. One must definitely try the Gujarati Thali- the king of all Thalis.
- Tent City for Stay: The tent city is used by the tourists to stay during their tenure of exploring the festival. They are available in traditional style and in luxury format. They are equipped with all the household luxury.
— Gujarat Tourism (@GujaratTourism) November 29, 2018
How to Reach at Rann Kutch Utsav by Train
Planning a trip to Rann Kutch Utsav via train? Drop at Bhuj station. It is the nearest station to the Dhordo village. However, passengers can also drop at Rajkot Railway Station 175 KM near to tent City Dhordo Village. Your train journey to Bhuj or Rajkot station can be a long distance journey. Do not carry an extra luggage for food and snacks items. RailRestro, an e-catering partner of IRCTC provides fresh food in train to the hungry passengers. Now passengers can order food online in train with their smartphone. Dial our number 8102-888-111 and place your food order for the coming station. Hot and fresh food will be delivered at your seat.
Are you on a group journey to the festival of Rann Utsav? Place your group food order via RailRestro and add extra fun and excitement to your journey. You can request a call back or chat with our food advisers to successfully place your food order.
Travel Packages for Rann Utsav-2018-19
The festival of the Rann Utsav 2018-19 has already commenced and bookings to this auspicious occasion are open. There are many tour packages which facilitate your trip to the grand festival. Any tourist can opt for any of these cost-friendly packages.
Saurashtra Darshan (Group Tour)
The Saurashtra Darshan is a four day group tour including the places like Ahmedabad, Jamnagar Dwarka, Somnath, Sasan Gir, and Junagadh. The package will explore the beauty and religious sights of these locations. The main religious spots covered are Nageshwar Jyotirling, Rukmini Temple, Triveni Sangam, Somnath Darshan and Jalaram Temple at Virpur. The trip will have free meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner). Price of the package costs:
- Adult Price Rs. 9,999 + 9% Tax
- Extra person Rs. 4,999 + 9% Tax
Sizzling Kutch- 8 Days Trip
An exclusive 8 days package which will cover the Little Rann of Kutch on the first day and end by reaching Rajkot, Akshardham temple and Ahmedabad. Other places covered under the package are Bhuj, Hodka Village, Mandvi, and Anjar. This package will take you to a ride of the majestic white land of Rann of Kutch. Cost of any safari rides, personal expenses like shopping, any entry fee, prices for any boat rides or Water Sports is to be completely borne by the tourist. They aren’t covered under the package cost.
Wildlife and Beach Of Gujarat – 5 Days Trip
It is a sizzling 5 day trip starting from Ahmedabad and a tour to the Rann of Kutch then heads to Mandvi, and Wankaner. Visit to organic farms, Jain temples, Rann of Kutch, Beach Wankaner Palace and other local sightseeing are covered under the package. Cost of any other fun activities, tickets of the temples and taxes are excluded under the package. The tour dates and prices can be customized as per the client’s requirements.
Desert and Beach Tour – 5 Days Trip
This five days trip is a village treat which covers Bhuj, Hodka, Banni, Pancham region, and Mandwi. The first day of the tour will commence from Hodka Village/Nakhtrana Village where guests will be staying in a traditional mud hut. A folk music performance around a bonfire overnight is specially arranged for the tourists. The trip will further explore you with the places like Dhordo village, Bhirandiyara village, Ludiya village and Khavda village, and visit to holy temples. You can customize your trip and price of the trip.
Spectacular South Gujarat – 7 Days Trip
This spectacular 7 days trip will start from Ahmadabad and cover destinations like Daman, Silvasa, and Saputara. The tour will include all the famous sightseeing of these locations. Any entry fee, cost of meal, safari charges or sports activities will not be included in the package. Tourists have to borne these expenses from their end. Long stretch of beaches, magnificent ancient churches, Dominican Monastery, Daman Fort, lush green forests, large waterfronts, cascading waterfalls, the gentle gurgle of streams, the hills nearby, Lion Safari Wildlife Park, Vanganga Lake, Gira falls, Sunrise and Sunset points and many more locations to explore under the package. Book your ride today.
Book the Kutch Rann Utsav Tour Package and explore the magical beauty of the white desert with many other popular places of Kutch.
For booking of these above mentioned tour packages visit akshartours.com– The Leading Tour Company of Gujarat.
Proceed to your home destination with wonderful memory of your Holidays at Kutch.
(Image credits: rannutsav.com & meranews.in)