Travelling is the most crucial part of our life. Everyone wants to travel at least once in a year. Though planning a trip is easy for a while but several factors can stuck on the last moment. Train cancellation being one of them is a major reason. Sometimes due to bad weather conditions or major accident en route, can cause cancellation of scheduled trains on those routes. In such cases, ticket cancellation is the last step for travelers to claim refund on their confirmed PNR number. Indian Railways being the most active mode of transportation tries to make passengers’ journey easy. From providing ticketing facility to ordering food online in train, Railways has digitally extended its services and added many law and acts to make your journey safe. But still many passengers are unaware of many services like where to complain for grievances, how to cancel train ticket in irctc app, how to claim for refund, how to buy tickets online etc.
How to get refund on counter ticket if the train is cancelled?
Train Ticket Cancelation Rules for PRS Counter Tickets:
Basically there are two ways to get refund on your cancelled train ticket. If you have booked your ticket from PRS counter then passengers can apply either online or offline mode to get refund on their tickets.
How to Claim refund from online mode: A passenger having ticket from PRS counter can also apply online to initiate refund procedure within 72 hours of departure time from its originating station. These basic steps are required to apply online on IRCTC web portal.
- Visit on IRCTC web portal.
- Enter PNR number, train number along with captcha.
- Select the checkbox to confirm that rules and procedure are read.
- After clicking on the submit button, an OTP will be generated and sent to your registered mobile number (given at the time of booking tickets on PRS) with reference ID.
- Use the OTP in given field and click on the submit button.
- Once the OTP is verified, your details will be displayed on the screen. Click on “Cancel Ticket” after verifying your details.
- An SMS will be sent to your mobile number with the details of your PNR and refund amount.
The refund amount will be collected from any PRS counters of Indian Railways within 3 to 7 working days.
How to Claim your refund offline: Passengers can instantly get over the counter refund from the PRS counter. If you want to get refund at the time of cancellation, kindly visit at the nearest PRS counter of Indian Railways and fill the cancellation requisition form with relevant details of PNR and cancelled train and receive the refund in same mode in which you had paid.
Counter Train Ticket Cancellation Rules:
- Only those passengers can cancel their ticket via online who has their registered mobile number.
- Cancellation of tickets and refund of fare may be permitted for PRS counter tickets in normal circumstances only and not in case of late running of trains/cancellation of train etc.
- Once the passenger confirms full cancellation of PNR, it will be marked as ‘cancelled’ but not ‘refunded’ in the system. Seat/berth will be released. Refund amount due will also be displayed on the website.
E-Ticket Cancellation Rules:
If your train is cancelled by Indian Railways due to any reasons i.e. weather, track disturbance or accidents, your PNR number will automatically cancel and the refund amount (full amount of your ticket) will be refunded in your linked bank account within 3 to 7 working days.
- You don’t need to cancel your ticket if your train is cancelled. The PNR of your ticket will automatically cancel.
- It is not necessary to file a TDR. But in some cases it will be demanded.
IRCTC Refund Status: How to Check Online:
Passengers can follow the below mentioned procedure for checking the refund status online.
- Visit the official website of IRCTC and login. You can also login into IRCTC app.
- Visit the “My Transaction” under the ‘My Account’ tab
- Under “My Transactions” Select ‘Ticket Refund History’ and a list of cancelled tickets will appear on the screen.
- Click on the ticket link to check the status.