Check PNR Status
Check PNR Current Status
Passenger Name Record abbreviated as PNR is a 10-digit number generated by the Indian Railways which contains complete travel details of the passenger like train name and number, coach/berth number, source station, destination station, total distance in kilometres and fare details. It also states that whether the ticket is under confirm, RAC or in waiting status. RailRestro mobile application has integrated the PNR status enquiry service for the travelers to stay updated by checking their IRCTC PNR status online. To check your PNR status you simply need to enter your 10 digit PNR number in the search box above and click on “CHECK STATUS” button. RailRestro App displays the live PNR status on your mobile phone and gives you the most accurate information about the PNR status of your ticket.
Specific Journey Details enclosed in a PNR number:
The PNR number is printed on the top-left corner of the railway ticket. If we take a virtual tour to the ticketing elements, PNR number is the primary factor deciding the status of the journey. Your effort to PNR live check on mobile will specify the below-mentioned details.
- Coach and Seat Information: Checking of 10-digit PNR status will immediately confirm you with the seat number and coach number along with the coach position. If the ticket is in RAC status or in Waitlist, there will be no seat or coach number because of the extreme rush in the train.
- RAC/ Waitlisted Details: As soon as the passenger enters his PNR details for inquiry and if the status is not confirmed, it will display the information of either RAC (Reservation against Cancelation) or Waitlist.
- Ticket Upgradation Details: There’re probabilities when tickets gets upgraded. In case of ticket up gradation the PNR number remains the same but seating arrangement is upgraded to next traveling class. Eg. If the seating is in sleeper class and the ticket gets upgraded, the passenger will be accommodated in Third AC class.
- Berth Number and Details: It reveals the exact seat number and coach number like S1 43, A3 24, HA1 20 etc. The code S1 means sleeper coach number 1 and berth number 43.
- Source and Destination Station: It is the boarding station from where the passenger has to board the train and the destination station is the last station of the journey.
- Journey Duration: Total time of the journey.
- Fare Details: The total fare of ticket booked.
- Passengers’ Details: Name, age and gender of the passenger.
How to Check PNR Status:
One can check their train PNR status through four means:
- Check PNR Status Online via website and mobile app.
- Railway inquiry counters
- Reservation Charts
- Charts pasted beside the coach entrance.
Where is PNR number printed on the Ticket?
- For Tickets booked via NGET or via PRS reservation counters: PNR is printed on the upper left hand side of the ticket. This 10-digit number is used to check PNR status.
- For E-Tickets: When you reserve your railway ticket through IRCTC official website, then PNR number allocated is sent through SMS on the registered mobile number and e-mail id provided at the time of ticket reservation process. When you print your ticket, then the PNR is printed on the upper left hand side in a specific column just above the transaction ID.
How PNR Status and Train Charting are interrelated:
Train charting is usually prepared four hours before the scheduled departure of the train. As the passenger books a rail ticket, the PNR number is recorded in the database along with its status. This number is stored and used for chart preparation for the date of journey. The total PNR’s for a particular train is clubbed and a chart is prepared for the coaches. This chart has passengers’ list along with their details. The tickets in waitlist and RAC are not included in the list. When the ticket is booked online or via PRS counter, PNR holds a great importance to board the train as it is the identity of passenger’s ticket booking. Seats are allotted to the passenger only when their PNR is confirmed as per the rule of confirmation.
PNR number is inter-related to chart preparation rules because it plays a vital role during the final chart preparation of the train. This chart is pasted on the external wall of the train with details of PNR number, passenger’s name, age and gender, train number, coach number and seat berth number. Final chart preparation of train signifies the final step of allotting seats to the concerned passenger. It is prepared to finalize the booking status. Lucky are those who come in this list as the rush in Indian Railways ticket booking system pushes the booking status to waitlist and RAC status. In this digital era, train chart is still trending in Indian Railways which passengers’ prefer to view for confirmation. It is pasted on the doorway of the train and usually prepared before 4 hours of departure of the train. All confirmed seats are allotted to the travellers according to their booking status. Passengers can also check PNR status online via RailRestro mobile application.
There are 100 seats to be booked in train and 150 people have booked the ticket. Only 100 people would be allotted with confirm seats, rest 50 passengers’ ticket will fall under the waiting list; it means there’s a probability of confirmation depending on many factors. While booking ticket, every passenger is allotted with a unique PNR number. In case of group booking, the PNR will be same for the entire group. A maximum of 6 tickets can be booked on each PNR. If a passenger doesn’t board the train and cancels his/her ticket, this cancelled seat is allotted to other passengers in the waitlist. Sometimes, it happens when the ticket falls in the list of RAC, which means side lower berth is allotted to two passengers on a seating arrangement. PNR holds a major importance while chart preparation. The PNR conveys about the name of the travellers, their age, and gender. It is the base of ticket booking and berth allotment. It is automatically generated by the Railways in which first three digits define the zonal railways and the rest seven digits are automatically generated on a random basis. When the train completes its journey and reaches to its destination, the PNR gets cancelled. It is valid for one-time journey. When you book the ticket for the next journey, you will be allotted with a different PNR and the chart will be prepared with that particular PNR number.
Your Frequently Asked Questions
What is the Abbreviation of PNR number?
PNR means Passengers’ Name Record.
What does PNR status reveal?
PNR number reveals the ticket booking status. It can show the exact status like waiting list, or RAC with respective numbers.
How many tickets can be booked in a single PNR?
In general quota, a passenger can book maximum of 6 tickets and 4 tickets in Tatkal quota. However, Aadhar verified passenger can book maximum of 12 tickets monthly.
Is there any bulk booking provision by IRCTC on PNR basis?
No! There’s no provision for bulk booking from internet on the official website of IRCTC.
Can PNR number be checked on the Kiosk machines?
Yes! On many stations, there’s a Kiosk machine installed for inquiry purposes. Any passenger can enter their 10-digit PNR number and check it easily.
What is PNR confirmation Probability?
It is an online feature which shows the chances of getting the ticket confirmed, if booked in waitlist or RAC. It is expressed in percentages and color codes. If the percentage results in less than 50%, it means there’s no chance of confirmation; if the value lies between 51% to 80%, it means, there’re minimum chances of getting confirmed and if the percentage value is above 81%, it means, there’re 100% chances of confirmation.
Is PNR valid for during and after the journey?
Yes! The PNR number is valid from the date of issue till the journey ends. It is not valid after the journey ends. However, the Indian Railways stores it for nine months after which it is flushed.
Is PNR valid after cancelation of journey tickets?
No! PNR is invalid after cancelation of tickets. Once the ticket is cancelled from PRS counter or via online mode, the PNR number is non-functional.
Do unreserved tickets have PNR number?
No! Unreserved tickets don’t have a PNR number. They can also be booked through UTS application under the digital initiative of Indian Railways.
Can we use the PNR number for ordering food in train?
Yes! Any passenger can use their PNR number to order food in train of their choice. IRCTC and its catering partners serve best food in train in few simple steps. One can download RailRestro app and order food for train journey.
Indian Railways has facilitated us with many services and checking PNR status online is one of them which has reduced rush on inquiry counters. Digitization has changed the ways of planning a train travel.