Train Travel is the most popular and most used transport mode in India for connecting two cities and towns. In India, travelling by train is convenient and cost-effective, but only if passengers book their tickets in advance. IRCTC, the official online ticketing system managed by the Indian Railways, allows passengers to reserve train ticket through the IRCTC website in different quotas like General Quotas, Ladies Quota, Premium Tatkal Quota, Tatkal Quota, Senior Citizen Quota, Physically Handicaped Quota and Foreign Tourist Quota.
Many times travellers have to make immediate travel plans. In this situation, the travellers aren’t able to get a confirmed ticket on General Quota and have the option to book the train tickets under Tatkal booking. Adding to the Tatkal scheme, the Indian Railways introduced a new Quota called “Premium Tatkal” in the year 2014. Tatkal and Premium Tatkal tickets have the same features. But the premium tatkal charges differ from those for regular tatkal tickets fare.
Premium Tatkal ticket bookings are mainly similar to regular tatkal ticket schemes, except for the dynamic fare pricing. In other words, as demand increases, prices of tickets also increase. If there isn’t much demand, however, the rates will be close to standard tatkal fares. Railways, like the airline industry, use a demand-based pricing system.
Premium Tatkal (PT), introduced by the Indian Railways, has reserved a few seats with a dynamic fare pricing to book the train tickets. Premium tatkal ticket booking time is the same as the Tatkal scheme. It opens at 10.00 AM for AC classes and 11.00 AM for non-AC classes. The dynamic fare is a higher fare charged only to confirmed passengers, and it is twice as much as a regular tatkal ticket fare.
It is important to note that the Premium Tatkal quota is not applicable to all trains.
Important Things to Know About Premium Tatkal Booking
The minimum premium tatkal price is the basic train fare plus the Tatkal charges, which differs from 10% to 30%, with an upper limit based on the travel class of passengers. The maximum premium charge is up to 30% of the base fare or ₹400 (whichever is higher).
- The newly introduced quota as Premium Tatkal (PT) Quota is being started by Railway with dynamic fare pricing.
- All rules for booking the tatkal quota over the internet apply to the Premium Tatkal quota as well.
- Dynamic fare means the fare, which may be increased with the subsequent bookings as the demand for Premium Tatkal tickets rises.
- Opening days booking for Premium Tatkal is allowed on/after 10:00 hrs.
- Advance Reservation Period (ARP) of Premium Tatkal ticket reservation is the same as Tatkal ticket booking.
- Agents are not allowed to book train tickets in the Premium Tatkal quota.
- Dynamic fare shall be charged for Confirm Passengers.
- RAC/ Waitlist Ticket Booking is not allowed in Premium Tatkal ticket booking.
- Only E-tickets will be permitted for premium tatkal booking online.
- I-ticket Booking is not permitted with this Quota.
- No concession shall be applicable in Premium Tatkal Quota.
- Children will be charged with Full premium tatkal fare.
- The identity card number of the prescribed proof of identity is required at the time of booking.
- At least one passenger must travel with the original ID card that was used at the time of train ticket booking.
- No refund is applicable in case of cancellation of confirmed Premium Tatkal quota tickets.
Difference Between Tatkal and Premium Tatkal
- The Tatkal ticket price is defined according to the travel classes, but the Premium Tatkal cost changes dynamically. As the demand for tickets rises, the higher will be the premium tatkal fare.
- Premium Tatkal tickets can be reserved only through the IRCTC website, whereas Tatkal tickets booking can be done through online sources like Paytm and also at the Indian railway ticket counters.
- Premium Tatkal ticket timing for ticket reservation is the same as that of the Tatkal scheme, but users may get tickets under Premium Tatkal even after a few hours of the opening time, whereas regular Tatkal ticket booking time gets exhausted within a few minutes.
Rules for Booking Premium Tatkal Tickets
The rule for Premium Tatkal booking online is almost the same as Tatkal booking. Premium Tatkal booking can be reserved in advance of one day before the journey date. Passengers can book only an E-ticket. The I-ticket booking is not possible. No concession is applicable to the premium tatkal tickets under this scheme. Child passengers tickets will be charged with full Premium Tatkal fare. Premium Tatkal booking does not allow users to book RAC or Waiting List tickets.
Premium Tatkal Ticket Booking Procedures
Passengers should check the Premium Tatkal train list before making a reservation since this service is not available on all trains. Travellers can book PT tickets by following the steps outlined below:
- Log on to the IRCTC website using your login ID and password.
- In the “BOOK TICKET” section and enter the from and to the station.
- Choose the date of the journey and submit. Now the user can see the list of trains.
- Select on the “Premium Tatkal” button next to the Select Quota section that displays the train with PT ticket.
- Select the train and book train tickets quickly to get the fare as low as possible.
- Provide the accurate details of passengers mentioned in the original proof like Voter ID, PAN or other government-issued identity cards.
- Take a printout of it if possible, or use the e-ticket you got in the mail.
To check PNR status, you must have a PNR status checking app, RailMitra. It offers an easy process to check the PNR status and keep you up-to-date about the train ticket booking.
Premium Tatkal Ticket Cancellation and Refund Policy
There will be no refund of Premium Tatkal booking if the passengers cancel their confirmed tickets. The refund of Premium Tatkal ticket price is granted only on certain circumstances as follows:
- If the passenger’s booked train is diverted via alternate routes for some reason, and the passenger refuses to travel.
- If the passenger’s boarding station or destination, or both, is not covered during the diverted journey, the PT ticket charges will be fully refunded.
- If a passenger who has reserved a Premium Tatkal ticket is not accommodated in the actual class or a lower class and refuses to travel, the entire PT ticket fare will be refunded.
Contact Information of IRCTC for Premium Tatkal Booking Queries
The IRCTC Customer Care can be reached at the following telephone numbers. Both English and Hindi languages are used to provide service to travellers.
Users can also contact IRCTC by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, and for ticket cancellation, an email to email@example.com.
Traveling is enjoyable, and adding your favourite flavours is an additional advantage. Food brings spice in your journey. You can order food in trains in advance while booking your train ticket.